Kids Day at the South Boston Farmers' Market
On Monday, August 27th, Children’s HealthWatch and the Boston Food and Fitness Collaborative (BFFC) joined the South Boston Farmers Market to celebrate healthy children. It was a fun event geared especially for young children and their families!
As part of the market's 10th anniversary celebration there were activities for families with young children at the South
The purpose of this event was to strengthen and build healthy communities and healthy families. Community organizations that provide services for families with young children were be available to talk to interested parents. For example, representatives from the Massachusetts Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) program will be there to answer any questions about the WIC program or about using WIC benefits at Farmers’ Markets. The South Boston Farmers’ Market accepts both WIC and the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits!
Children’s HealthWatch research has shown SNAP and WIC to be protective of children’s health. Food Insecurity, limited availability of nutritious food, is a known child health risk. In
Kids Day Participating Community Organizations
1. Boston Public Schools
2. Cooking Matters
3. Fuel up 60 (New England Dairy Council)
4. Stonyfield yogurt
5. The Supplemental Special Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
6. Children's HealthWatch
7. Boston Food and Fitness Collaborative
8. South Boston Community Health Center.
9. South Boston HeadStart
10. South Boston Neighborhood House
11. South Boston FANS (Family Advocating Neighborhood Strength)
13. South Boston Boy's & Girls Club
14. United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food & Nutrition Service
Tables and table clothes for the event were generously donated by Be Our Guest Inc.
Click here to read the Boston Globe coverage of the event and look at pictures!